Sunday, February 18, 2024

Mixed Media Experiments

 This past week I have been experimenting with mixed media and using some unfamiliar layering techniques. Not really sure how this will work over time, hopefully I am not picking up where Albert Pinkham Ryder left off in terms of painting longevity...

Here is my nearly finished work "Smoke Haze"

Smoke Haze: 4 x 6 mixed media on cradled panel

I am liking the effect, which I achieved by layering oil pastels and and then cold wax medium over a base layer watercolor painting. The cold wax smeared the oil pastels only a tiny bit, and I actually appreciated the softening effect. At this point I have added a few more tonal touches over the cold wax layer and am sitting with it for a few days before adding signature and a final layer of cold wax. 

Good luck little painting! 


No comments:

Post a Comment